Commercial bankers, especially those in the core and lower middle market, face so many obstacles to growth and profitability – from a looming regulatory environment to nimble, creative non-bank competitors – that it’s a wonder some don’t throw their hands up in despair and go fishing. But there is hope for those willing to address […]
Tag Archives | middle market
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge”. – Charles Darwin I am often asked whether middle market LBO lending is specialized. To a great extent, the answer is “yes”. Certainly, there are essential elements of transaction analysis, underwriting, and account management in middle-market leveraged deals that require a more sophisticated approach than is typically […]
The Gaffin Group is pleased to report that an article authored by Mark Gaffin has appeared in the Association for Corporate Growth’s September 2013 issue of Middle Market Growth. The article, titled “Do PE Firms Starve Companies of Innovation? Myth or Reality,” sheds light on misconceptions around the rate and effectiveness of innovation generated by […]
In larger middle market transactions we typically see senior and junior debt facilities with multiple lenders. Given tight timeframes in most LBO transactions, a delicate balance is struck between how much reliance can be placed on the confidential information memorandum (the “CIM”, also known as a bank book, etc.) and how much will be invested […]
The Gaffin Group is honored to have Mark Gaffin cited as one of the must read quotes on M&A for the first half of 2013. Mr. Gaffin noted: “We are pleased that our research findings are be included in such a compelling list. As we noted in a prior post, we were interviewed for our […]
The Gaffin Group participated in a day of visits to Capitol Hill policy makers’ offices to advance discussion and education on issues facing the middle market and private capital formation. The Association for Corporate Growth has developed both a robust public policy agenda but also has made available an extensive data set illustrating the impact of […]
Mark Gaffin attended a reception at the New York offices of Venable LLP with a small group of industry professionals and Congressman Jim Himes (D-CT) and Congressman David Schweikert (R-AZ). While the specific topics of the meeting were not disclosed, we understand the meeting to be informative and productive. As Mark Gaffin reported, “It was […]
- The Most Expensive Word in Banking? “Relationship” October 30, 2013
- Baby on board? Risks of inexperience in LBO lending June 25, 2013
- The CIM…sales document or due diligence? September 16, 2013
- Wall Street Journal misses on Bank article January 31, 2014
- The Peril of Pytr Prynciple and the Bank Meeting November 5, 2013
- Getting under the Hood: Leveraged Lending and the 2014 SNC Review March 10, 2015
- There be monsters? Middle Market Leveraged Lending and the SNC Review December 17, 2014
- The Middle Market has a Weight Problem December 12, 2014
- Culture and Investment: Winning Platform or Ship Wreck? May 5, 2014
- Critical Elements of an Effective Leveraged Lending Platform April 2, 2014
- There be monsters? Middle Market Leveraged Lending and the SNC Review | The Gaffin Group: […] to extrapolating its findings inappropr...
- Chris Pruszko: Great article Mark. I would add that operations a...
- Mike Kipp: Experience on two bank boards over last 12 years s...
- Bob Hancock: I agree with you 100%. I have 27 years experience ...
- Fred Richmond: Outstanding article and absolutely true to life. S...
Follow @TheGaffinGroup on Twitter