I had the pleasure of seeing Biz Stone, co-founder of Twitter, at a recent conference in Las Vegas. While he and I are wired quite differently (maybe a reason his net worth has a ‘B’ in it), he noted several compelling tenets and principles he used to drive the cultural development of Twitter. And we […]
Tag Archives | buyouts
While I have great respect for WSJ’s reporting overall, I think they got several material points wrong in a recent article on banking (“Banks Sit Out Riskier Deals – Regulatory Pressures Push Some Lenders to Let Lucrative Deals Go” 01/21/14). Based on my experience from front-line leveraged lending and my privilege of being involved with […]
The Gaffin Group was pleased to have an article on value maximization published on the Axial network. The Gaffin Group Founder and President, Mark Gaffin, discussed the on-going research effort in this area. “Our Group continues its research efforts into private capital formation and the middle market. An important area of discovery is now the […]
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge”. – Charles Darwin I am often asked whether middle market LBO lending is specialized. To a great extent, the answer is “yes”. Certainly, there are essential elements of transaction analysis, underwriting, and account management in middle-market leveraged deals that require a more sophisticated approach than is typically […]
In larger middle market transactions we typically see senior and junior debt facilities with multiple lenders. Given tight timeframes in most LBO transactions, a delicate balance is struck between how much reliance can be placed on the confidential information memorandum (the “CIM”, also known as a bank book, etc.) and how much will be invested […]
Mark Hulbert was busy elbowing his way onto the anti-private equity bandwagon on July 5th with his confusing dispatch “Real Returns: Are Private-Equity Gains Built to Last?” Mr. Hulbert heroically ignores a large body of readily accessible research and data to precariously perch his pejorative premises on quite arguable findings from a single, tax-return driven […]
The Gaffin Group is honored to have Mark Gaffin cited as one of the must read quotes on M&A for the first half of 2013. Mr. Gaffin noted: “We are pleased that our research findings are be included in such a compelling list. As we noted in a prior post, we were interviewed for our […]
- The Most Expensive Word in Banking? “Relationship” October 30, 2013
- Baby on board? Risks of inexperience in LBO lending June 25, 2013
- The CIM…sales document or due diligence? September 16, 2013
- Wall Street Journal misses on Bank article January 31, 2014
- The Peril of Pytr Prynciple and the Bank Meeting November 5, 2013
- Getting under the Hood: Leveraged Lending and the 2014 SNC Review March 10, 2015
- There be monsters? Middle Market Leveraged Lending and the SNC Review December 17, 2014
- The Middle Market has a Weight Problem December 12, 2014
- Culture and Investment: Winning Platform or Ship Wreck? May 5, 2014
- Critical Elements of an Effective Leveraged Lending Platform April 2, 2014
- There be monsters? Middle Market Leveraged Lending and the SNC Review | The Gaffin Group: […] to extrapolating its findings inappropr...
- Chris Pruszko: Great article Mark. I would add that operations a...
- Mike Kipp: Experience on two bank boards over last 12 years s...
- Bob Hancock: I agree with you 100%. I have 27 years experience ...
- Fred Richmond: Outstanding article and absolutely true to life. S...
Follow @TheGaffinGroup on Twitter