Beneath the screeching Klaxon alarms, raised by frenetic media on all things related to deal making, lies a deep – and historically vibrant – Middle Market. Undaunted, intrepid reporters dash through press rooms clutching another article decrying companies “laden with debt”, “leverage limits”, “criticized assets” of the if-it-bleeds-it-leads meme – while a vast sector of the economy […]
Archive | Statistics and analysis RSS feed for this section
Mark Hulbert was busy elbowing his way onto the anti-private equity bandwagon on July 5th with his confusing dispatch “Real Returns: Are Private-Equity Gains Built to Last?” Mr. Hulbert heroically ignores a large body of readily accessible research and data to precariously perch his pejorative premises on quite arguable findings from a single, tax-return driven […]
Statistics: The only science that enables different experts using the same figures to draw different conclusions.” – Evan Esar, American Humorist (1899-1995) As I have suggested before, the Private Equity market place is not monolithic and most attempts to describe the market in generalities, be it performance or otherwise, fall flat – especially […]
“For my purpose holds To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths Of all the western stars, until I die. It may be that the gulfs will wash us down: It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles, And see the great Achilles, whom we knew” -Tennyson “Ulysses” (1842) From a high level, […]
I was catching up on some reading and got a chance to re-visit the First Quarter 2012 Private Capital Access Index published by Dr. John Paglia who heads up the Pepperdine Private Capital Markets Project. For those interested in the Middle Market, I strongly suggest getting involved in the surveys that this project runs periodically. […]
- The Most Expensive Word in Banking? “Relationship” October 30, 2013
- Baby on board? Risks of inexperience in LBO lending June 25, 2013
- The CIM…sales document or due diligence? September 16, 2013
- Wall Street Journal misses on Bank article January 31, 2014
- The Peril of Pytr Prynciple and the Bank Meeting November 5, 2013
- Getting under the Hood: Leveraged Lending and the 2014 SNC Review March 10, 2015
- There be monsters? Middle Market Leveraged Lending and the SNC Review December 17, 2014
- The Middle Market has a Weight Problem December 12, 2014
- Culture and Investment: Winning Platform or Ship Wreck? May 5, 2014
- Critical Elements of an Effective Leveraged Lending Platform April 2, 2014
- There be monsters? Middle Market Leveraged Lending and the SNC Review | The Gaffin Group: […] to extrapolating its findings inappropr...
- Chris Pruszko: Great article Mark. I would add that operations a...
- Mike Kipp: Experience on two bank boards over last 12 years s...
- Bob Hancock: I agree with you 100%. I have 27 years experience ...
- Fred Richmond: Outstanding article and absolutely true to life. S...
Follow @TheGaffinGroup on Twitter