In part one of this series, we noted that the 2014 SNC Review sample was heavily skewed toward leveraged loans and to criticized assets. This purposeful focus does not, in itself, undermine the report’s explicit findings (at least about the review sample) but it certainly hinders simple, drive-by use of cherry-picked elements of the Review to make […]
Archive | Leveraged Lending RSS feed for this section
Six years past the onslaught of the Great Recession, a knot of on-lookers remains committed to specters and bogeymen in the leveraged loan market. Undeterred by contrary empirical evidence and low default rates, torchbearers have tried (thus far, in vain) to enumerate any swath of banks that required rescue due to leveraged lending to commercial and industrial operating […]
What does it take to be an effective middle-market leveraged lender? Are traditional lending models obsolete? Is this sector now the domain of non-bank debt investors? Whether you are a private equity investor, operating company, or co-lender, these questions can be pivotal to deal viability over the investment horizon. Finding out, mid-deal, that one or […]
While the death of commercial banks in the leveraged, sponsor-backed sector is a bit exaggerated – it’s tough to argue that the industry is not in the Intensive Care Unit. Recent reports from S&P Capital IQ show that U.S. banks’ share of leveraged lending in the middle market has fallen to 9% in 2013 – […]
While I have great respect for WSJ’s reporting overall, I think they got several material points wrong in a recent article on banking (“Banks Sit Out Riskier Deals – Regulatory Pressures Push Some Lenders to Let Lucrative Deals Go” 01/21/14). Based on my experience from front-line leveraged lending and my privilege of being involved with […]
- The Most Expensive Word in Banking? “Relationship” October 30, 2013
- Baby on board? Risks of inexperience in LBO lending June 25, 2013
- The CIM…sales document or due diligence? September 16, 2013
- Wall Street Journal misses on Bank article January 31, 2014
- The Peril of Pytr Prynciple and the Bank Meeting November 5, 2013
- Getting under the Hood: Leveraged Lending and the 2014 SNC Review March 10, 2015
- There be monsters? Middle Market Leveraged Lending and the SNC Review December 17, 2014
- The Middle Market has a Weight Problem December 12, 2014
- Culture and Investment: Winning Platform or Ship Wreck? May 5, 2014
- Critical Elements of an Effective Leveraged Lending Platform April 2, 2014
- There be monsters? Middle Market Leveraged Lending and the SNC Review | The Gaffin Group: […] to extrapolating its findings inappropr...
- Chris Pruszko: Great article Mark. I would add that operations a...
- Mike Kipp: Experience on two bank boards over last 12 years s...
- Bob Hancock: I agree with you 100%. I have 27 years experience ...
- Fred Richmond: Outstanding article and absolutely true to life. S...
Follow @TheGaffinGroup on Twitter